This week I accomplished a lot on my wooden surfboard. This week I had a slight change in my schedule I had an unscheduled trip down to California. I had to go on this trip because I just got accepted into St. Mary’s College. I wanted to get a better felling of the school and I did while I was there visiting. I relished that I had to work really hard on Monday Tuesday and on Friday. Monday I prepped my board to make it easier to shape and get closer to my finished product. I had filled all the cracks in the wood with wood filler so that the resin would not slip through the wood and leave bubble in the board. The next day I took it upon my self to work from 9 till 4 at night it was a good successful day where I got a lot done and was happy with how long I worked on my board. Then I went to California the next day. After visiting the school I had the opportunity to visit a surf shop. I did not get to see any one shaping or talk to the head shaper but it was still good to look around at the boards he had made and the different spin of on the boards he would do. It was a good experience to go and see these board and I am glade while I was in California I was able to visit and see another persons work of art. Then the next day I had to fly back home I did not get back to my house till about 1 in the morning on friary morning. I worked on friary to finish up my house and the shape of my board. The board is all shaped out and is looking good and I am begging to like the way it is looking. The rails where by far the hardest thing I have had to come to work with so far. Now I am on to the glassing stage. Me Fra and Ty, all went to work with Ian today we all got a lot of good pointer and tips on how to shape a board and get to the finishing product. He went over the ways to lie in the rails and to begin to get ready for the glassing stage he showed us and let us work with him on his board to get the feel of the rails and of the finishing steps. Then he begins to show us the glassing process and how to apply a good coat of fiberglass with the right amount of resin. This helped a lot because resin is the hardest part of shaping a surfboard and no I have a better since of how to do that. I am no ready to glass my board and test it out for the finial week.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment